I love chicken tacos, but since I don't eat traditional tortillas anymore and the primal wrap recipes out there look like more work than they are worth, I've decided to put the taco into a bowl. This is by far one of the easiest meals to throw together and the leftovers make a great lunch option.
Crock Pot Salsa Chicken Salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, halved & sliced
- 1 cup of frozen Trader Joe's bell peppers
- 16 oz jar of salsa (be sure to check the ingredients)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Garnish: shredded cheese, sour cream and/or avocado
In a bowl, mix salsa and seasonings, stir to combine. Put the onions and peppers in the bottom of the Crock Pot and then place chicken breasts on top. Cover the chicken with the salsa and tomatoes. Cook on low for at least 8 hours, mine ran for over 10 hours and it turned out fine. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and stir everything together.
Serve over lettuce and garnish to your hearts content.